Beets & Beans Ferment (with Omnivore Limone)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon Omnivore Limone Salt
- 12 oz. raw red beets, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups cooked Rancho Gordo Alubia Blanca beans*
- 2 - 3 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 spring rosemary
1. Bring water to a boil and pour into a bowl. Dissolve the salt in the water to make a brine, and allow to cool completely.
2. Place the beets, beans, and sage in a bowl and mix well.
3. Transfer the mixture to a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar. Add in the rosemary, and gently compact the ingredients. The top of the ingredients should reach the shoulder of the jar.
4. Pour prepared brine into the jar. There should be enough brine to over the top of the ingredients by one inch.
5. Place Kraut Source onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 7 - 8 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight.
6. When ready, replace Kraut Source with the standard mason jar lid and ring. Transfer to the refrigerator.
*To cook the beans: Measure out about 3/4 cup of dry beans and cook in boiling water for about 45 minutes or more until tender. Because Rancho Gordo's heirloom beans are so fresh, they don't need to be pre-soaked prior to cooking.
Fermented Beets & Beans on butter leaf lettuce, topped with boiled egg, feta, and dill.
Leave a comment