Easter Sunday Brunch is a time to gather around the table with family and friends and celebrate the bounty of Spring.Torta Pasqualina ~ Italian Easter Pie, is a traditional Ligurian recipe made each year to celebrate the Easter holiday. Omnivore Salt and Sicilia make this classic dish Omnivorelicious!
We suggest to use puff pastry for the dough. Defrost in the refrigerator to make sure those butter layers stay nice and cold.
Tips: When using puff pastry, you want to work quickly while it's still cold and you want to handle it as little as possible to keep the layers from getting squished down together and producing a dense final result.
Also to end up with a crisp crust on your pie, it is important to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach. Drain ricotta in a sieve over a bowl from 30 minutes to an hour to remove any excess liquid.
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry
- 1 1/2 Pound Spinach or Swiss Chard
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Bread Crumbs
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1 Pound Full Fat Ricotta Cheese, Drained
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Cup pancetta cut into cubes
- Omnivore Salt
- Omnivore Sicilia
- 1 Large Egg
- Allow the pastry to defrost in the refrigerator
- While the dough is resting, begin to prepare the filling by cooking the spinach in a large pot. Drain, squeeze until very dry and chop, then season with Omnivore Salt
- In a bowl, mix the bread crumbs, ricotta, parmesan and cubed pancetta with spinach
- Beat two of the eggs, and fold into the spinach ricotta mixture
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F
- Roll out the two layers of puff pastry until fairly thin, making them large enough to cover a 10 inch spring-form pan with a good overhang to cover the filling
- Lay one layer over the other to cover the bottom and sides of the pan
- Put the filling into the pan, smoothing it evenly
- Make four hollows evenly spaced around the filling, and carefully crack the eggs into the hollows
- Fold the overhanging edges of pastry over the top of the pie
- Beat the egg with a teaspoon of water and brush over the top of the puff pastry
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the pie is golden brown
- Serve warm, or at room temperature