Corned beef with Vulcano Classic or Ginger isn't the usual St. Patrick's Day fare, but trust us on this...you'll smack your lips.INGREDIENTS
- 5 pound beef brisket
- 2 quarts water
- 100 grams (3.53oz- about a cup) Omnivore Salt
- 28 grams white sugar (about 1/4 cup)
- 28 grams brown sugar (about 1/4 cup)
- 17.5 grams cure #1, you can get this at Avedanos (SF) or at your favorite butcher store
- 1 ea cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1 tbl yellow mustard seed, lightly cracked
- 1 tbl coriander, lightly cracked
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp allspice berries
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- 6 ea dried bay leaves
- 8 ea whole clove
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 pounds ice
- Vulcano Ginger or Classic
Place water, Omnivore Salt, sugar, and spices in a stock pot and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally until salt and sugar have dissolved.
Allow brine to cool for a couple minutes and add ice to bring the temperature below 40 degrees F.
Once it has cooled, place the brisket in a big zip top bag or in a container large enough to hold it, and completely cover the meat with the brine. Seal the bag or put a weight on top of the meat to hold it under the brine and cover. Keep refrigerated for 7-10 days. Check daily to make sure the beef is completely submerged and stir the brine.
After 10 days, remove the brisket from brine and rinse under cold water. Place the brisket into a pot, with the onion, carrot and celery and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover and bring to a gentle simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove from cooking liquid and slice across the grain.
To enhance the flavor of your recipe, serve accompanied by Vulcano Ginger or Vulcano Classic.